TRICONA was founded in 1942 by the White Fathers, who are affiliated with the Roman Catholic Church. Thirty-six years earlier, the same religious congregation had founded St Mary`s College Kisubi, a boys-only residential middle and high school along the Kampala- Entebbe Road Road. TRICONA was established, having realized that the secondary education of Catholic girls needed to be addressed as well. The objectives were to produce educated women who are "morally upright", "academically sound", "socially and physically capable" of serving God and their country. In the beginning, the school's administration was overseen by the Missionary Sisters Of Our Lady Of Africa (White Sisters), who later, in 1960 handed it over to the Canonesses Sisters of St. Augustine.